Monday, March 31, 2008

Women's Influence on Popular Database Yahoo

I was searching the Internet for more blog articles when the headline "Yahoo To Launch Site For Women" caught my eye. It was nothing extraordinary, but I found it interesting that a popular search engine like Yahoo would be taking the time out to cater to a more specific demographic---women. I guess I should not have been surprised with all the marketing the Internet and its search engines promote. However, I naturally assumed they lumped us all into one group of web surfers with subcategories that were more focused on interests by topic, but not so much by the nature of our sex. It makes sense that Yahoo would redirect their focus to a particular market niche, but why now?

In search of the answer to that question, I kept reading the article which later revealed what seems most logical, there is a profit issue. Apparently, Yahoo is one of the Internet companies who is not faring so well as of late. I guess that shows how much I really pay attention to this stuff. Honestly, I take it for granted that the Yahoos and Googles will always be there at mine and everyone else's disposal if ever an Internet search beckons them. Yet, that does not seem to be the case as Yahoo, despite its model, is subject to cycles of all business---growth, maturity, decline, and death. It seems Yahoo is trying to prevent the latter part of that cycle. In it's quest to revive business, Yahoo has recognized a market niche that they have yet to truly tap. They have realized the power and influence women continue to have in the marketplace. Apparently, our opinions are not only significant factors in determining the square footage as it applies to the spaces in real estate, but also in cyberspaces where Yahoo maintains a residence.

Thus, Yahoo has initiated the task of designing its user interface to reflect what their internal research indicates is of most importance to women. Yahoo has decided to partner with media companies (magazines) to develop products and services that cater to women and their needs or interests. The following is an excerpt from the article:

"Amy Iorio, vice president for Yahoo Lifestyles, said internal research also shows women are looking for a site to aggregate various content and communications tools.

'These women were sort of caretakers for everybody in their lives,' she said. 'They didn’t feel like there was a place that was looking at the whole them — as a parent, as a spouse, as a daughter. They were looking for one place that gave them everything.' (New York Associated Press 31-Mar-08).”

I think this is definitely a good move for Yahoo just in how modifying their content may likely affect me. Often, I go to Yahoo primarily to just check email and rarely use it to perform a search transaction unless my browser references it. All I hear about is Goggle and that's likely what most people use. I can not recall the first time or ever if anyone said "Oh just Yahoo me" the way the say "Google Me." Naturally, I began using Google because it was so well promoted that I believed it must be a great company as well as Internet resource. However, my first email account was created via Yahoo so I have remained somewhat loyal. If they modify the content on the user interface to something that interests me more, then I would probably access the site more. In my opinion, Yahoo has made a smart decision to address the needs of women by providing "content and communication tools (NY AP 31-Mar-08)" on their sites that will allow women to feel like they have everything in one place.




Referencing Article:
Yahoo to launch site for women
31st March 2008, 7:30 WST
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=145&ContentID=65337

No comments: