Tuesday, March 25, 2008

IDMB.COM: IS THIS INTERNET MOVIE DATABASE AN INVITATION TO CAREER NETWORKING OR CAREER HACKING?

What I found most astounding was that this database is available to ordinary users as well as entertainment professionals despite celebrity privacy issues and frequent cell phone hacking to get the very information that may be accessible on the IDMB.com. Then, I thought perhaps the creation of this site was in an effort to give hackers some of the information they seek in a less violating and mutually agreeable way. I am sure no one really agrees with me on this, but after reading about (in Database Nation) all the sneaky ways information is collected then I may not be wrong. At the very least, it could be useful for someone without malicious intent who may need a creative way to network in the entertainment industry due to limited connections. If I look at it via the perspective of someone just trying to catch a harmless entertainment career break, then I step out of the paranoid and overly concerned role that Garfinkel cast upon me. I begin to see this type of database just as vital as those other career sites like Monster and CareerBuilder.

Professional online databases for people in the entertainment industry seems very beneficial for those trying to get discovered in this business, but I wonder if this could be inviting more trouble. Today, with all the instances of cell phone hacking and other IT security issues associated with malicious people trying to gain access to celebrity information, could this be a disaster waiting to happen? I will keep an eye and ear out for news that the data or security of this site has been compromised because it seems like a perfect place to target for those who are enticed by or obsessed with discovering personal information about celebrities.

No comments: