Monday, February 11, 2008

My Introduction to Relational Databases

My very first experience with relational databases was between 1997 and 2000. I was enrolled in community college seeking an Associates degree in Information Systems Technology. The course was called Introduction to Database Management as expected, however, I do not believe I really learned how to manage databases. My instructor was great and I managed to get through the course just fine, but I did not retain much of what I learned. I believe that was largely due to not using what skills I learned beyond the course. What I remember most was that the course project required a lot of time and that I ended up buying a computer and the Microsoft Professional Suite to have unlimited access to Microsoft Access 1997.

I spent countless hours learning to build a database, creating primary keys, and performing queries either for sample projects for student enrollment (courses) or medical records (patients). Today, I have discovered that those sample projects must be the best examples because we use them as models again in my Introduction to Database Concepts course IT 450.

In my IT 450 course, I am learning about ERDs and relational schemas for the first time since they were previewed in my Systems Analysis and Design classes (IT 361 and IT 473). They are critical to database design, yet, I never learned about them in my very first database management course. I only recall using this thick textbook called Microsoft Access 97 and building the database due to a long list of requirements. The requirements were not written similar to the business requirements that I am being exposed to now. It was more along the lines of what would be expected once our database design was analyzed with respect to primary keys, field and index requirements, datatypes, and other things. This did not bother me at the time because I never knew how I would use this course later. However, it intrigues me today that I either was asleep at the wheel or that the very basis for database design was not a focus of the course. Honestly, I do not remember any discussion of ERDs and relational schemas.

Today, I am a little disappointed because I feel like I would be more prepared for my current course with all of the logistical issues I'm having with the course delivery. I would feel a lot less pressure while trying to grasp the concepts had we at least discussed this topic. Perhaps, the idea was to just have us be succintly introduced to databases and leave the real ground work for even higher educational institutions---those providing the Bachelor's and Master's degrees. If that is the case, then I can minimize my disappointments and focus on actually learning and possibly applying in the work force what I gain from the Introduction to Database Concepts course today.

No comments: